Saturday, May 5, 2007

Randy Long

Doug was always so funny and witty it is hard to remember
a time that I wasn't smiling or laughing around him. Maybe
at some Drake faculty meetings, but I am sure he even got
us laughing at those. Doug just had a way of making fun of
everything. It was his special gift and one I will always treasure
to have gotten to share. I loved it when Doug teased me and
I was always so gullible I fell for every joke he ever
pulled on me.

This is one of my memories of the fond times I had with Doug
and Bonnie in Des Moines.

I remember when Doug and Bonnie through a party for some
of the art faculty at their house in the country. It was my first
time at their house and I think the first time I had ever gotten
together with the faculty for a social occasion at one of their
homes. I think it was decided ahead of time to do a hot sauce
tasting contest. I know Chet Ross had brought some of his
favorite hot sauce and Doug and Bonnie had several. For the
contest you had to stick your finger into a jar of hot sauce and
then suck it off. Well, these sauces were really hot. I
think I tried one and had to drop out of the contest. I don't
remember who won the contest but I think it was either Chet or
Doug. I kinda remember them making the biggest deal about
being able to handle the hottest sauce and they were having fun
over trying to decide who had the best hot sauce. I was a California
girl who grew up ten minutes from the Mexican border so I felt
really bad about loosing out to two Mid-Westerners.

I send you all my love and my sympathy over Doug's passing.
Thanks to you all for being such good friends to Doug and Bonnie.
I have heard stories about all the great times Doug had with you
when you came to visit him after he found out he had ALS. You
have all been a blessing and I send you my appreciation for
making Doug's last years great ones.

May God Bless You All,