Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Bob Bergman

Doug was an artist I could really relate to. I consider myself
more of a mechanic or craftsman and Doug really pushed me
towards a higher level. Two particular visits with him taught
me how.
One was a trip to Lesterville before a BAM conference.
Doug wanted to show Nana and myself his bit of heaven.
A tour of the Mark Twain Forest, the Shut-Ins, Elephant Rocks,
and finally a trip down the river. We were in a canoe and Doug
in a kayak. One of my treasured memories is of Doug doing
360 turns floating downstream, laughing and telling stupid jokes.
The second was being at the Seattle conference where he
gave a talk on his sculptures. He explained how a dried mudflat
inspired one, sunlight reflecting on the river bottom - another.
No heavy intellectual art talk but his love of nature and ability
to capture the essence of a scene in metal was very evident.
Very pure feelings flowed from his work. I hope I may be able
to follow his lead and move to the next level in my work.
Thanks Doug, you were one of my best friends. Bob