Thursday, May 10, 2007

Jen Hendrickson

I haven’t known Doug for as long as many of you, or nearly as
well as many of you. I met Doug in the winter of 2000. I still
remember the night because it was the first family event that I

went to with Rob (now my husband), Doug’s nephew. Doug
teased me right off the bat, but I quickly learned to give it right
back to him – I instantly felt at home – and he gave me the wink
and smile he was famous for. I was fortunate enough to get
many more of those winks and smiles over the last 6 years.
My fondest memory of Doug will always be the Thanksgiving
when the family traveled to Missouri to visit Doug and Bonnie
a couple years ago. One evening we all gathered on the back
porch and Doug played his banjo as we all sat and told stories
and laughed. I am not even sure Doug knew this but I have
been a huge Grateful Dead and Jerry Garcia fan since college.
For some reason Doug always reminded me of Jerry Garcia
– the artist, free spirit. I was never lucky enough to see
Jerry Garcia play his banjo before he passed on but I liken it
to what I experienced that night on the back porch. Doug was
my Jerry Garcia. He was that guy that you want to know and
want to be near – even if just for a little while. I will miss Doug
very much but will always cherish the moments I did get.
And every time I hang up a pot or light a candle I will think of
him with love and fondness. I look forward to learning more
about Doug and hearing more stories about him as the years
go by. I am going to close with an excerpt of a Grateful Dead
song that’s always been one of my favorites and that as of late
has conjured memories of Doug.

Fare you well,

Fare you well,

I love you more than words can tell,

Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul.