Sunday, May 6, 2007

Condon and Georgeann Kuhl

I have not been much of a communicator since we moved to Maine,
but every so often my phone would ring and there would be Doug
checking in. I always enjoyed hearing from him and our conversations
always left me feeling very joyful.
Thats how I will always remember Doug...Joyful and full of life and vitality.
Where do I start? Perhaps just a stream of consciousness....
At Drake a wonderful teacher, collegue, energetic positive spirit in the in
the Art Department.....A trip with you and Doug to the blacksmithing
conference in Carbondale.......Thanksgiving and summers at peola .........
The musical group strumming away at Farleys.......Parties at the house
in Johnston .........Crazy art projects (draw til you puke), surf boards
floating down the DesMoines river......A weather vane that Doug made
sitting on our roof.....all kinds of fire irons that Doug made when he was
learning blacksmithing that I use at my three wood burning stoves.........
Doug the artist.....
Probably most important to me is that I always felt that Doug was
genuinely interested in what I was doing as an artist, and that he
respected my work.
Georgeann and I last saw Doug and Bonnie in Nova Scotia the
summer they found out he had the problem. They were having a
good trip and hearing lots of good Cape Breton music. I will always
treasure that last time together.
Georgeann remembers:Most recently, going to the Kaiely in Cape
Breton, hearing the "master" play the fiddle, with Doug stomping
his feet; a jolly night.., and back 20 years or so, visiting Peola and
seeing Doug at his forge...40 plus years ago, as a Drake student,
a big burly, mouthy , joke cracking prof....and Doug & Bonnie
delivering a beautiful weather vane with a whale for our new home
in Maine...which is always pointing the right direction, where Doug
is now, moving along in the right direction...moving on.
Doug will be missed.