Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Dave Hendrickson

I'm Dougs brother Dave. Doug is 4 years older than
me. I always looked up to Doug, he was my big
brother. Our Dad was a truck driver and we grew
up in south Minneapolis. When Doug graduated
from High School he joined the Marines with his
best friend Bruce. He was gone 2 years and was
a fighter mechanic. When he got out of the marines
he brought this cool young woman, (Bonnie) with
him and said they were getting married. A few
years later Mike came along. He was sort of like
my little brother. I used to bring him to the beach
at Lake Nokomis and he was a chick magnet.
Better than a puppy.
Doug and I both had a passion for motorcycles,
this lasted our entire lives. We both enjoyed pheasant
hunting and got to do this a little when he lived in
Iowa
. Our Grandpa instilled a love of fishing in
both of us. I was lucky that we got to do a little
fishing with him these last few years.
Bonnie has been a angel these last years. She has
helped Doug through this illness every step of the
way. I have so much respect for her. Doug and
Bonnie raised a wonderful son in Mike and I know
Doug was very proud of him.
I hope to see him again some day.
My wife Shirley, and my family, Dana, Pam, Lucy
and Gus, Jason, Shanna, Jake and Hattie will miss
him so much.
We'll be planting a Ironwood tree in Doug's memory
on June 10 in Minneapolis, along the river road
where we used to play as kids. Everyone is welcome
to come and help us. Dougs family will all be there.