Saturday, May 5, 2007

Ada Medina

Doug passed on today. And I'm looking at my favorite
on-the-road photo of Doug.
Bonnie took the pic on
their trek west, visiting friends after Doug learned of
his diagnosis.
On the day we parted in Santa Fe, I
gave Doug a favorite toy Kachina with hot pink feet,
turquoise torso, and a black head with aqua-colored
fuzz hair as an offering for the road.
In the photo, Doug is in profile with the vast desert
flowing past the window as he drives the van.
His right hand's on the wheel, and in his left hand,
Doug delicately holds Kachina before him, upright
by the feet so that Kachina looks forward as the road
winds up ahead.
That's how I picture Doug now - riding strong, freer
than free with Kachina. Still, I'm so sad, for myself
left behind, knowing I'll not be getting those big old
turnips (big as my head) that Doug would send me
and Sharon. Those incomparable turnips, rolling
bare naked in a cardboard box destined for world-class
stew. I'll miss you and all your gifts forever, Doug.
Yours was the sweetest love, spirit, and humor a
being could have. I was honored to have you in my life.
And, hey bud, on Cinco de Mayo, today the rarest
snow is falling out my window. I dedicate it to you.
I love you, Ada