Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Marty Hicks

My dad brought me along to Doug and Bonnie¹s place
out side Des Moines, IA when I was about nine ­
around 1969. They had a community garden there. I
remember Doug out in the yard in his speedos and
Bonnie in a bikini, and cool motorcycles, sculptures,
and a German Shepherd named Fritz. That scene
made quite an impression on a nine-year-old boy.
My Dad worked with Doug in the Art Department at
Drake so I was prepared, but it was all so funny
and cool that I was hooked and couldn¹t imagine a
better way to spend life.

A few years later I became interested in banjo music.
Scott Ross taught me how to play and I must have been
about 14 years old when Art Rosenbaum came to town.
Art was a painting professor at the University of Iowa
and a scholar in traditional American Folk Music. He
also did the soundtrack to the movie "Cool Hand Luke".
People got together to play music at Farley¹s in the
afternoon and that night Art was playing at "So¹s Your
Mother¹s" bar a few blocks from campus. "Mother¹s"
attracted a mix of students, earthy artsy types, and
bikers. We went, and they let me in since I was with
my Dad. Doug and the Farley¹s crowd gathered at a
table next to the stage. The place was packed it was
a wild scene. Doug got Art to ask me up onto the stage
to play a couple of songs with him. I¹ll never forget
that time and many others with Doug and Bonnie and
folks in the Drake Art Department.

I think that being able to capture someone¹s imagination
is a gift.

Thanks Doug and Bonnie for sharing your gift.