Thursday, May 10, 2007

John Tansil

We knew this time would come but that doesn’t make
it any easier. When Doug complained of muscle
weakness three years ago, he grabbed my arm
and squeezed it to prove his point. I protested
and said he was as strong as an ox. But the medical
experts knew better and thus began a new and
different challenge for Doug and Bonnie. They
met the challenge with the same unique perspective
that Doug gave to his craft. If an incurable disease
were only a lump of iron, Doug would have created a
cure, a magnificent sculpture, long ago.

We had some great river trips together on the St.
Francis River and the Black River. The whitewater
of the St. Francis was also a challenge for Doug, but
unlike ALS, it was by choice and not by chance. The
river shuttles with Doug’s flatbed truck were
memorable – how many boats did we have on there
at one time? I think the number was 16 or 17. Doug
made a lot of friends in the whitewater community
and, in true Dr. Iron fashion, he reciprocated in many
ways. One example was the “Wavey Davey” sculptures
that he created and presented to Wahoo Award
recipients. I still cherish mine.

Doug was not only a renowned blacksmith but the
consummate teacher as well. It was always impressive
to hear his explanations about how a piece of sculpture
was crafted and why it was done a particular way.
When I suggested bringing my SEMO physics students
to watch him in action, he jumped at the chance. He
unselfishly gave a full day of his time to show them
what it’s like to create art in the blacksmith shop.

When Linda, Michelle, and I went to the fountain
dedication for Doug at the National Ornamental
Metal Museum in Memphis, I was not surprised
to witness how many friends Doug had in his
professional field. Nor was I surprised at the high
esteem he was held by his peers – Doug was like that –
real good at what he did and a genuine likable person.

Doug and Bonnie’s hospitality was legendary. Any
time I was in the area and would call unannounced,
the response would be “Come on over. We’ve got
plenty of food. Don’t bring a thing except yourself.”
Although they were always right about the food,
I secretly believe they really did appreciate the
gifts of Bailey’s Irish Crème and Margaritas. There
was never a dull moment at Doug and Bonnie’s
house – good food, good liquor, lively conversation,
a new piece of artwork to look at, etc. There were
also entertaining pets, all of which were named “Bob,”
a reflection of Doug’s good sense of humor and his
love of animals. As husband and wife, Doug and
Bonnie complemented each other, and it was always
a pleasure to visit them.

Doug enriched my life in many ways. However,
if there were one thing that I could single out, it
would be that he taught me to be more tolerant.
Thank you, Doug, for being who you were and
for letting me know you as a friend.