Monday, May 7, 2007

Deb Reber

After reading those remembrances on your blog,
what strikes is how much Doug touched the lives
of everyone he met. My first recollections of Doug
were shortly after my daughter, Lindsay, who
was born in 1982, and how he'd hold her on his
arm --- that massive blacksmith arm - where
her tiny body would stretch from the tips of his
fingers to just about the crook at his elbow. She
grew up calling him "Uncle Dougie" and I guess,
25 years later, I've called him that ever since.
Although I didn't know him when he was a professor
at Drake, I suspect that he continued his "teaching"
while in the blacksmith shop. Seeing the
development of Peola Valley Pottery and Forge take
shape over the years was such a wonderful and
incredible sight to behold. Watching Doug, Lee,
Bonnie & Pam literally transform the property to
what is it today, was such a labor of love that they
probably have no idea just how many lives they
have touched over the years in the process. Doug,
in particular, had such a way with people - to
entertain, to instruct, to educate. His canvas, had
he been a painter, was the hammer, anvil and the
subsequent art he created from those pieces of
metal he forged, from among other things, leaf
springs! A basket-maker at one time, I would
go to PVP&F during the summer months to
participate in, what was affectionately known as,
the "Dog & Pony Shows". I was usually set up in
or just outside of the forge weaving, so I was able
to observe Doug at work. Hearing the sound of his
hammer in the early mornings when I arrived at
the Forge was like a step back in time. To be able
to watch him, was spectacular. Jon, my son, was
very fortunate to have worked as an apprentice
for Doug during some of those summers. Doug
not only instructed him in the art of blacksmithing,
but also taught him life lessons, including the art
of kayaking, that have helped make him the man
he is today. His humor, his laugh, his love of life,
his patience, his incredible wit, his twinkling eyes
and that wonderful smile --- that's what I'll
remember about Doug.
Doug will be sorely missed by all who knew him.
Even those who only visited the store, but had
the opportunity to meet him and watch him work,
I feel sure, came away feeling that they had been
in the presence of someone very special. Doug
was special - very special. He was a unique
character --- but a character, nonetheless. I will
miss him greatly because those times spent with
him, Lee, Pam & Bonnie were some of the best
times of my life.