Sunday, May 13, 2007

Jeff Crawford

It has been a while since I got to see Doug. The times I made
it back to Lesterville he seemed to be out putting up some iron
somewhere. The last time I had a chance to visit with him he
was doing a gate for someplace in Tenn. I think. Yea that long ago.

I had the pleasure of meeting Doug and Bonnie in late 84 I believe
at Wilderness Lodge where I was working. I remember in the
winter months we would meet at the lodge and Doug and Bonnie
would play the Banjo and guitar for those of us there. Doug was
trying to get me to play the bass with them, I could not play or
hold a note if I had a bucket to put it in.

After meeting them I stopped by on many occasions at the forge
to watch Doug work or keep him from working I should say. He
always had something to show me. On one occasion he had
made some throwing axes for a few of us to play with. He had
a log outside of the forge that we would use as a target. I never
could out throw him, close but not quite. He seemed to be good
at whatever he was doing.

I went on a few canoe trips on the Black River with him. On
one trip it was Doug, Dad, Steve Apted and myself going down
middle fork during hi water. We put in behind Ronnie's house
and went across Chicks bridge with no problems and continued
on to the low water bridge behind town. As always it was a great
trip seemed so whenever Doug was around. As we was coming
up to the bridge we had taken on a little water due to doing things
most would not have been doing, as we was shooting across the
bridge we started rocking back and forth. With each rock the
side of the canoe would go under allowing more water in. We
never tipped over but the canoe was sinking under us as we
paddled, Doug was telling me to just keep paddling, which we
did until we was standing in the canoe with water up to our necks,
still padding. As I said trips with Doug was always great.

I learned a lot form Doug, more then I had realized at the time.
Hard to believe that when I make it back to Lesterville to visit
a pillar in a lot of lives it will not be in place.