Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Bill Vaughn

My first memory of Doug was when Mike brought
me to the house in Johnston. It was about fifth or
sixth grade when we started “hanging out” and
became the best of friends. Anyway, on my first
of thousands of visits, Mike said, "This is my Dad".
And with no further ceremony, Doug said "Hi" and
then kicked me in the chin with his clogs. I jumped
back, as you can imagine, and he said something
like, "So, your hanging around with my boy!" he
may have even growled. But, there was that twinkle
in his eye that gave him away, then he smiled a bit
and I knew he was alright.

I have many great memories of being at the house
with Doug, Bonnie and Mike and watching Doug work
in the basement shop making a guitar, or working on a
sculpture, or fixing a motorcycle….. I was struck by
how creative Doug was and I was always a bit jealous
that my parents weren’t as cool as Bonnie and Doug.

Doug let me tag along on some pretty cool stuff, like
setting up an art gallery. Re-Casting some monuments
that had been damaged and even going to the Fair to
hear some of his many performances. One summer
when Mike and I went down to Missouri and worked
on the house, we helped to mill timbers for siding, then
pulling rocks from the riverbed. Doug worked us a bit,
but there was always time for something fun like
canoeing, swimming or just hanging out. Doug knew
how to celebrate and live life, and he knew how to
throw a party and have the best time.

I just want to say thank you to Doug and Bonnie
for all the great times, and thanks for raising a great
kid, and grandkids. I’m sure the party in heaven
just got a whole lot more interesting. (Do they have
Tequila with worms up there? - If not then it must
not be heaven).